Coordinates: 34.9575, -117.2127
It takes approximately two hours to reach the lighthouse from Los Angeles. A four-wheel drive vehicle is recommended.
From Los Angeles:
1. Take either I-10 east or I-210 east to I-15 north towards Las Vegas/Barstow.
2. Just before Barstow, take Highway 58 west. Proceed approximately 9 miles to Hinkley Rd.
3. Exit at Hinkley Rd and turn right.
4. Drive north on Hinkley Rd for 2 miles until you reach a stop sign after crossing the railroad tracks.
5. Turn left on Santa Fe Ave and proceed 2 miles. After 1.5 miles the road will turn to dirt. The lighthouse will be clearly visible ahead. Follow your GPS and continue until you reach Black Canyon Rd.
6. Turn right on the unmarked Black Canyon Rd. You will be heading directly towards the lighthouse and are approximately 2 miles from the lighthouse.
7. From this point a high-clearance four-wheel drive vehicle is required to reach the base of the lighthouse by car due to the conditions of the roads. Alternatively, you can park on Santa Fe Ave and hike the remaining 2 miles.
PREPARING FOR THE DESERT
It is recommended that visitors bring water and weather-appropriate clothing. During the summer months temperatures are routinely above 100 degrees with little to no shade. In winter, freezing temperatures are possible at night. Due to the conditions of the roads a short hike may be required. When hiking it is important to be mindful of your surroundings. Rattlesnakes and other wildlife are present in the surrounding area.
Please note: The nearest town with food, water, and gas is Barstow. For those interested in staying overnight, there are motels in Barstow and camping on the grounds is allowed at your own risk. No restrooms are available on site.